RE: Ice Intercooler

To: "'Elon Ormsby'" <ormsby1@llnl.gov>,
Subject: RE: Ice Intercooler
From: "Albaugh, Neil" <albaugh_neil@ti.com>
Date: Thu, 5 Dec 2002 09:59:44 -0600
Elon;

You wrote:

"...What some folks find hard to believe is that
icing can be a serious condition on a hot day and a wide dew-point.  100
deg f and a dew point of 50 deg f  are in the icing regime.  I should have
included a link to a great icing chart.  Every pilot should have it in
their flight bag (and every LSR with an
intercooler).   http://www.fishcreekflyingclub.com/safety/carbice/

So what does all this have to do with LSR.  Well...I wrote a post about a
week after all of the intercooler stuff died down. Dave brought up the
point that the fuel charge could be chilled too low (thanks Dave).  But
nobody addressed the issue of icing which I think is the biggest problem of
all! ..."

I'll agree with that. My old '65 GTO frequently suffered from carb icing. It
was a Royal Bobcat-- 3x2bbl, blocked heat risers, & ram air package, etc.
Back East, the dew point was relatively high and with the carb intake
drawing cold air directly through its open hood scoop, there wasn't always
enough residual heat to prevent icing.

I raced it but also drove it on the "street"-- that is, through the
mountains of WV and western VA. Having lots of torque and a good close-ratio
4-speed made that a really fun drive!

Regards, Neil     Tucson, AZ