Re: Ice Intercooler

To: Higginbotham Land Speed Racing <saltrat@pro-blend.com>,
Subject: Re: Ice Intercooler
From: Elon Ormsby <ormsby1@llnl.gov>
Date: Wed, 04 Dec 2002 18:47:54 -0800
Skip wrote, (snip. . . ) Elon, you "snipped" my comment about dew point and
temperature being close together......my point was that carb heat won't
help fuel distribution and ice isn't due to low temperature alone.

Skip, my apologies. In my attempt to edit the message for brevity, I
distorted your original message.  I agree that dew point and temp being
close is an icing recipe.  What some folks find hard to believe is that
icing can be a serious condition on a hot day and a wide dew-point.  100
deg f and a dew point of 50 deg f  are in the icing regime.  I should have
included a link to a great icing chart.  Every pilot should have it in
their flight bag (and every LSR with an
intercooler).   http://www.fishcreekflyingclub.com/safety/carbice/

So what does all this have to do with LSR.  Well...I wrote a post about a
week after all of the intercooler stuff died down. Dave brought up the
point that the fuel charge could be chilled too low (thanks Dave).  But
nobody addressed the issue of icing which I think is the biggest problem of
all!  It never got posted and flew off into the Internet ether.  I never
saved it but I will re-do it and send it along shortly.  -Elon