RE: Ancient History (non-LSR)

To: "'W S Potter'" <wester6935@attbi.com>, Glenn Ridlen
Subject: RE: Ancient History (non-LSR)
From: "Albaugh, Neil" <albaugh_neil@ti.com>
Date: Thu, 12 Dec 2002 10:18:06 -0600
Wes;

I can't remember Pearl Harbor but I sure remember V-J Day!

When I was a kid, we lived on the Isle of Palms outside of Charleston, SC
and there were times that burning ships could be seen in the distance at
night. German submarines patrolled the coast and torpedoed ships that left
Charleston in convoys bound for Europe or the Mediteranean. After a
hurricane, parts of the Charleston harbor's anti-submarine nets washed up on
the beach in front of our beach house.

Later, we moved to Myrtle beach and lived in a house on the beach. It was
built up on pilings and at high tide the water would be under the house. I
remember the Coast Guard riding horses up and down the beach checking that
everyone had his blackout shades drawn at night so no light would be
visible. U-boats used shore lights as navigation aids, so everything was
blacked out at night.

I also remember pulling my little wagon around the neighborhood collecting
scrap metal for the war effort and my mother crying when my Dad had to go
overseas. We were lucky-- my Dad came home but so many Dads didn't.

Regards, Neil     Tucson, AZ