Re: Arfon's Aerodynamics, a thought.

To: land-speed@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Arfon's Aerodynamics, a thought.
From: John Szalay <john.szalay@worldnet.att.net>
Date: Thu, 16 Jan 2003 10:31:33 -0500
At 06:34 AM 1/16/03 -0800, you wrote:
>> art said he didn't understand that scientific
>> stuff,so he just built the green monster to fit in a
>> bus.
>
>I love that train of thought... very realistic!

  its like the old saying describing the F-4 Phantom.

 "If you put enough engine on it, even a brick will fly"

 WHICH brings up another thought,  everyone works for a smooth
airflow, clean lines and smooth metal & paint.

 Has anyone looked at the golfball principle ?
a dimpled skin on a streamliner.  a golfball flys further because
of the dimples, a smooth ball less.  a rough skin on a baseball allows
more distance.
 I know it would look like hell, but wonder if the boundry area air
resulting from dimples on a car body  would allow more speed on the
 salt ?...

 perhaps a future test when a wind-tunnel is available.

Cold & snowing here,  time to sit & think.... mind wandering...