RE: Dry sump

To: land-speed@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: Dry sump
From: "Russel Mack" <rtmack@concentric.net>
Date: Sat, 25 Jan 2003 17:08:30 -0600
Mayf:
glad you are interested in this.

yeah, as you realized, it does appear (from the graph I found) that not only
does the horsepower required to drive the "parasites" (including oil pump)
go up with rpm-- it seems to be a (slightly) exponential increase-- I
suspect due to the  less-than-100% efficiencies of the parasites,
themselves.  Graph is very small, however, and not meant for us to derive
really accurate data.  Maybe I'll be able to find something better.

For some (rough) numbers, see my reply to Glenn.

I agree that electrical system management would become a critical issue,
but-- like Glenn, I don't think I'd want to fuse the oil pump circuit;
rather burn-down a harness than an engine!  I'm thinking in terms of
circuitry that would not allow any other engine systems to work until the
oil pumps are turned on (by separate switch). That way, the oil could be
circulated before the engine is cranked, and the oil flow could be
maintained when you "kill" the engine for a plug-check coast down-- adding
even more engine protection benefits to the dry-sump system.
Russ, #1226B