Car Canopy

To: "Land Speed List" <land-speed@autox.team.net>
Subject: Car Canopy
From: "James Tone" <gmc6power@earthlink.net>
Date: Thu, 27 Feb 2003 17:19:01 -0800
Heres my 2 cents from 25 years experience.  I have built my own & bought them.
Here's what works for me. First I the one who marks out all of the pits at
Bonneville and if competitors look over at the outside edge, I put a stake
every 30 feet.  I always hope that's what a normal pit width would be.  That
gives 8' for the trailer and 22' for the pit(ought to be enough).
A 10' x 20' cover wasn't big enough because the sun moves all day. 16'x20' to
me is the best cause 1 person can put it up.(really I do it every year). I
have a 6" pitch to the center, side stakes 6'-4".  Anchor it to the trailer on
one side and multiple stakes and rope on the other.  One year I tried a mesh
one and all the people helping told me to get rid of it...Too Hot. We all like
the silver. good reflection. New one every year.  Old one become the floor the
next year then goes to the 40 yard dumpster when we leave. We leave the tarp
up every night, ratchet tie it to the race car in 2 or 3 spot:ie front
axle-roll bar-pushbar.(sorry coupe guys)  Never lost a thing. I like Northern
Tool catalog ones better than Harbor freight.
 I have an Easy-Up for sitting, eating and bench racing.  Bought itat Sams
club good price "WHITE" big mistake. couldn't look up or down.  Sent for a
blue cover and it's perfect.
When people ask me what to bring to Bonneville when it's there first time, my
first response is a chair. So I can sit down in my own pit :)  :) LOL    J.
D.