RE: Re: Plasma Cutter or band saw or ?

To: "'DrMayf'" <drmayf@teknett.com>,
Subject: RE: Re: Plasma Cutter or band saw or ?
From: "Albaugh, Neil" <albaugh_neil@ti.com>
Date: Fri, 21 Mar 2003 16:27:14 -0600
Mayf;

As I recall, in that article there was more concern than just the hardening
of the ends of the dry-abrasive-cut 4130 tubing. I think their worry was
also about some cracking of the ends due to the severe locallized heat of
the abrasive-cutoff. Also, there was concern about abrasive grain inclusions
in the weld.

Welding 4130N with a torch gives you a pretty good (but NOT completely)
stress-relieved joint due to the broad heat zone and slow heating/cooling
rate. TIG requires subsequent stress-relief, if I'm not mistaken-- I don't
TIG weld, so I'm not as familiar with its requirements.

Regards, Neil     Tucson, AZ