Re: Re: Plasma Cutter or band saw or ?

To: land-speed@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Re: Plasma Cutter or band saw or ?
From: "DrMayf" <drmayf@teknett.com>
Date: Fri, 21 Mar 2003 15:01:17 -0800
> As I recall, in that article there was more concern than just the hardening
> of the ends of the dry-abrasive-cut 4130 tubing. I think their worry was
> also about some cracking of the ends due to the severe locallized heat of
> the abrasive-cutoff. Also, there was concern about abrasive grain inclusions
> in the weld.

Yeah, I can see that. I have never used the stuff so it is foreign to me. I
can see the cut off material getting embedded. As to localized heating man I
don't see how that could come anywhere close to what either a torch or tig
does. In any case, I am not likely to ever runa ccross chrome moly tube in
anything I do so it is definitely moot to me.  If you cannot use a cut off
chop saw then how do you grind on it? Maybe I am not supposed to. I use a
sears reciprocating saw for all my cuts and the tubing notcher. Defineitely
moot. I learn more neat stuff on this list.

mayf