Re: Time to run

To: land-speed@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Time to run
From: ARDUNDOUG@aol.com
Date: Tue, 22 Apr 2003 17:21:23 EDT
In a message dated 4/22/2003 1:31:53 PM Pacific Daylight Time, rgg14@cox.net
writes:

> Dave
> Just curious. How much hp do you think you're giving up by not getting heat
> in components?
> Ron
>
> I have not had any luck getting either heat in the engine or
> >gearbox in the am either as it always seems like a fire drill to get the
> car to
> >the line in the morning and some steps get missed.

    We look at it more from a standpoint of engine longivity rather than
horsepower. Making a balls-out run on cold oil is a sure way to drive over
some parts.
    What we've had good luck with is a Moroso or equivalent 120v immersion
heater permanently installed in the oil pan or sump tank via a welded in 1"
pipe thread bung.
    The first thing we do upon arriving at impound or the pit in the AM is
start the generator and get the heat process going. Every few minutes one of
the crew spins the engine with the starter until the oil pressure comes up.
    Given the 1-hour we have in morning impound before towing out to make the
final run it's a little hectic, but better than nothing.
    I know of crews that have an automatic timer on their generator that
starts it and gets the heating process going a couple of hours before they
get to the salt.
    Hope this was what the oil-heating thread was about.
                                 Ardun Doug King