Re: Black Line

To: Russel Mack <rtmack@concentric.net>
Subject: Re: Black Line
From: "Thomas E. Bryant" <saltracer@awwwsome.com>
Date: Tue, 03 Jun 2003 08:00:58 -0700
Forgot to remove the trailer!!
List,

Evidently, this center black line is an important issue for some people.
Personally, I voted for the center line when responding to Wooden's
survey, but in reality, I try to avoid it. What amazes me is the photos
of the land speed cars running down the course straddling the line. This
has always been territory I try to avoid. I have found the line to be
less then good traction when coming in contact with it.

Maybe it is just a habit I have developed or maybe it is because my
vision in my right eye is almost nil, but it has been my practice to run
close to the right side of the course, giving lots of room to drift to
the left. I do the same at the lakes. I have found that running down the
center of the course is not a good plan for me.

I realize that some cars offer even less vision than mine, but all we
need is a point of reference down the track to keep us on course. The
right side line works for me. If I see a line coming up on my left, then
I know it is time to make some adjustments to the steering.

How many have run at Bonneville without black lines at all? Just a cone
now and then to mark the course. That can get real exciting. Especially
if your visor or goggles are fogged up.

Tom, Redding CA - #216 D/GCC