RE: Bonneville Request

To: "'Dave Dahlgren'" <ddahlgren@snet.net>, "'DrMayf'"
Subject: RE: Bonneville Request
From: "Albaugh, Neil" <albaugh_neil@ti.com>
Date: Wed, 13 Aug 2003 11:08:16 -0500
Dave & mayf;

Let me propose a slight addition to your "salt hardness test". In addition
to "...dropping a sphere of a known weight and height and checking the depth
of the depression..." it would be useful to also measure the height that
that sphere rebounds to. This will add a data point that measures the
coefficient of restitution-- how much energy is lost by that deformation and
springback. My guess is that the higher the coefficient is, the less power
is required to make that "rolling dent" in the salt surface. Sort of like
the difference in a train wheel rolling on a steel rail and rolling in sand.

Regards, Neil     Tucson, AZ