Re: Bonneville Request

To: DrMayf <drmayf@teknett.com>
Subject: Re: Bonneville Request
From: Dave Dahlgren <ddahlgren@snet.net>
Date: Wed, 13 Aug 2003 10:32:09 -0400
they post it right on the fuel truck for every one to see and i believe they
update it hourly.. You might ask them when they update and conduct your tests
right around the same time as well. I would be the most interested in the
moisture content and hardness of the salt as i think that has the biggest
effects on speed but may or may not effect traction that much. If the surface
deforms it has to absorb power in doing so. In essence you are continually
driving up hill out of the hole. I vote for a test, if I get a vote LOL as it is
your project maybe suggest is a better word,  that involves dropping a sphere of
a known weight and height and checking the depth of the depression along with
the salt temp and moisture content.. it would end up being sort of a 'hardness
test'... You could have your own Mayfield salt hardness test like that Rockwell
and brinnel scale.. End up with a number like 22 MayfSH with the numeric part
the depth of the depression or the combination of deep and water content....
Dave