Re: Bonneville Request

To: land-speed@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Bonneville Request
From: "DrMayf" <drmayf@teknett.com>
Date: Wed, 13 Aug 2003 10:14:30 -0700
Sorry, Dave. Nothing at all that sophisticated.  I have just a weighted sled,
shod in michelin tire rubber.  My little fixture has a can on it into which I
will pour sand.  When the sled moves, I weigh the sled and it's add-on weight
and the pull load (tow).  Then simply divide the tow load by the sled weight.
Salt static coefficient of friction results.  Requiring less tow load during
the day should be a measure of moisture in the salt and should result in a
lower CoF.  Why don't your or some of the others bring the tools to measure
hardess and/or actual moisure content.  We certainly disagree on the driving
up hill: to me that would be true if the salt were like a beach sand but
even at Daytona which is sand, I think the cars just hydroplane over the
salt using the loose salt as the medium on which the tire floats.  But hey,
that's just me!

As I said, this is rough science, and all I am going to do is find the
static coefficient of friction.  And given that, you can program your foot to
make the torque/rom curve match the capability of the coeficient and do some
corner weighting on the drive wheels.

But, that is my own personal pet theory and nobody else should bother with
it. Don't want anyone to take this too seriously.

mayf