RE: rws

To: <Arne.Hulstein@digitaldreamers.info>
Subject: RE: rws
From: john robinson <john@engr.wisc.edu>
Date: Fri, 03 Oct 2003 08:51:17 -0500
At 03:02 PM 10/3/2003 -0700, you wrote:

and I snipped some......

>Being rear wheel steered, I recon you have got another problem with the
>car. It isn't just that it is non-conventional so it doesn't feel
>intuitive. I suppose the biggest problem with it is that you feel it so
>late. When you turn the wheel the back end is getting in line with the
>front wheels when they turn. You will only feel that turn when it is
>already going on. If you put in too much steering you need to back off,
>but that will take precious milliseconds. Of course, missing feel you
>will over correct and so on and so forth making the car uncontrollable.

yes this is the PIO we have been discussing...the only correction factor
that would be available to the driver would be the sightline of the
driver/vehicle and the direction its going in.any seat of the pants feeling
is going to be "wrong" according to the instinctive driving of 500,000
miles of practice. I don't know if very neutral, no feedback power steering
is the answer to this problem either, a driver relies on seat of the pants
feeling as to skid, and the rear steer would give false positives to his butt.

>Alright, you have got your line down the middle, right? So make a
>computer read the line. Then have a
>computer make the steering corrections keeping the car completely in
>line with the track. It will not rely on feel (as humans do), only on
>facts. This would make it much more stable, but the question then would
>be whether you would still be regarded the driver of the car (alright,
>you can push the throttle and pull the shutes) or whether you might then
>put in that rubber chicken as it will be running just as straight.
>
>Arne

we haven't had a center line for quite some time....however, it could be
done with GPS real easy......wonder how THAT will go over with the tech
guys.....and it then gets a lot closer to the idea that somebody here was
describing a while back, a very streamlined vehicle, radio
controlled....makes it easy to build, don't got no safety worries about a
passenger.....and brings up the arguement that with a GPS steered , or a
fly by wire system not yet described, the "driver" is only a passenger and
what's the point? well, I would think that the pilots of the shuttle would
disagree with you as to them being only a passenger, even though the flight
from space to the ground is computer controlled.....and I still understand
the Streamliner class is "Innovation Unlimited" ........