RE: Suspension

To: "'Keith Turk'" <kturk@ala.net>, "'LSR List'"
Subject: RE: Suspension
From: "Albaugh, Neil" <albaugh_neil@ti.com>
Date: Mon, 13 Oct 2003 15:05:43 -0500
Keith;

As drivers, we all try to keep the car pointed in a straight line (more or
less) but that requires constant little steering corrections to go straight.
If these corrections are truly minute, not much is required of the
suspension as far as handling is concerned but given the effects of a little
wind or a moderate course correction, this generates a small (hopefully)
lateral G force and that's when you're in the road-racing realm-- not just
when you've gone off-course or done a 360. The greater the lateral G force,
the better your suspension geometry needs to be.

Was it Jimmy Clark or maybe Graham Hill who did a 360 in an Indy race years
ago? He didn't miss a beat and kept on going like nothing happened. I
thought the radio announcer was going to have a heart attack describing his
"miraculous" achievement. Maybe in those old roadsters in USAC racing it was
unprecedented but in GP & sports car racing it just wasn't that unusual. The
moral to that story is that if you have a good-handling car, driving skill,
and luck, a recovery is possible but not always without drama.

Regards, Neil     Tucson, AZ