Re: suspension

To: land-speed@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: suspension
From: John Goodman <ggl205@yahoo.com>
Date: Sun, 12 Oct 2003 16:53:21 -0700 (PDT)
"what I'd like to see on a chalk board is how all of
the suspension components would act on that central
point longitudinally in the car...."

The best visual I can recommend is Bill Mitchell's WinGeo3 suspension
modeling software. Among other variables, Win Geo3 demonstrates where
the roll center is, how it (and other things) relate and move when you
lower the ride height (compression), roll in either direction
(diagonal load transfer) and pitch (fore and aft load transfer). You
may check one or all variables in a single computation.

"... and how the front suspension which is lower would be engineered
to focus it's energy at a higher altitude to be in the same plane as
the rear suspension..."

Not sure I understand this statement, Keith but it may have something
to do with roll couple. Roll couple is that connection between front
and rear suspension.  Ultimately, both front and rear suspensions has
a bearing on the other due to diagonal and longitudinal load
transfers. You might be surprised how much load transfer is taking
place on an LSR car that is hitting bumps and holes or dealing with
that unforeseen blast of wind out of those northern mountains.

The books Dave recommended and those you already have, will get you
quite a ways down the road to understanding the basics of
suspension. Put a little more oil in those lamps, Keith. Something
tells me you will be buring it.

John Goodman