Re: Suspension

To: Keith Turk <kturk@ala.net>
Subject: Re: Suspension
From: Dave Dahlgren <ddahlgren@snet.net>
Date: Mon, 13 Oct 2003 08:28:01 -0400
Take a minute to think about what the various disciplines have to offer and see
which one makes the most sense to you as being similar in needs..

Drag race
High g loading in one direction
Very good traction between tire and surface.. pre heated slicks on asphalt
Little need for lateral stability no cornering loads
Almost always has a large input to chassis
Minimal chassis movement
cars over 200 mph have very little suspension or use chassis and tires as
suspension

Circle track
High Lateral G loads optimized for turning left
Medium to very good traction
Straight line stability optimized for particular track
short track may run a lot of toe out for quick turn in characteristics
cars over 200 have 4 wheel suspension
May have lots of chassis movement depending on track

Sports car
High g loads in all directions
poor to very good traction.. both rain and dry use
High lateral stability in both directions
Good straight line stability both accel and braking
may be compromised for some tracks with toe out for quick turn in to corner
Minimal chassis movement
cars over 200 have 4 wheel suspension

Sounds to me like a sports car that is set up for a very long track with the
optimization for best straight line rather than turn in..

Dave