Re: news flash

To: Dave Dahlgren <ddahlgren@snet.net>
Subject: Re: news flash
From: Bryan Savage <basavage@earthlink.net>
Date: Sun, 07 Mar 2004 10:50:51 -0800
Dave,
I was reporting the news and repeating what I was told.

In 1972 I went to Bonneville and hung out with the Jack Lufkin gang.
Jack had a
a turbocharged, Bosch-injected big-block Chevy. Bill Edwards, who I
became friends
with, and Hugh MacGinnes Designed, and Bill built the turbo system.
(fuel = gas)
(pictures of car:  http://www.hotrod.com/thehistoryof/72599/index3.html)

The car had made several runs that week with out any problems. Looking
for more
speed, they had added alcohol to the 40 gallons of ice cubes & water.
Jerry Spotts
turned out right after the two. Problem: only a couple (?) of pounds of
boost. EGT
was low. Normally the intercooler pump was turned on right after the
engine was
started. On the second run they had Jerry turn the pump on after the 1 -
2 shift. (727 auto)
The second run was almost 300. Bill told me he thought the intercooler's
were
keeping the EGT too low for the turbos to spool up properly.

Dave, I'm sure that you, with current engine management tools, would
never have
this kind of a problem.  But with 1972 tools -- ?

What do you think was actually happening Dave?

Bryan