Re: news flash

To: "Joe Amo" <jkamo@rap.midco.net>, "Keith Turk" <kturk@ala.net>
Subject: Re: news flash
From: "Rick Byrnes" <rick@rbmotorsports.com>
Date: Sat, 6 Mar 2004 08:50:38 -0500
Keith Turk wrote
>"I think Bryan might have a point in his circulation set up.... in the
lower
>gears where you spend the most amount of time and least amount of Hp... you
>might consider leaving the water pump for cooling the Iced intercooler in
>the off position and then just bring it on when you really need it in the
>last say.... 2 gears..."

I can't be in total agreement with these statements unless you run
considerably less boost in lower gears. We need to  consider the charge air
cooler to be purely an anti - detonation device.   Unless you know the
threshold of detonation, I suggest that creating a good cold thermal mass on
the starting line is still necessary unless boost pressure is quite limited
in early gears.  Actually this is probably a great idea anyway since we are
all traction limited in lower gears. (Given enough HP that is.).  So Joe,
there are some more controls for you.  Before long we are gonna have Dave
doing a management system for you.  Or size the alternator to handle all the
load all the time.  We car guys have an easier time in that respect.  I
guess what I'm saying is that a careful adjustment of the boost knob is in
order.  Don't turn down the screw until water flow has started.

Rick