Bumps, Suspension, Etc.

To: "land-speed submit" <land-speed@autox.team.net>
Subject: Bumps, Suspension, Etc.
From: "3liter" <saltfever@comcast.net>
Date: Wed, 8 Sep 2004 15:38:45 -0700
List: I have been following this discussion with interest and I thank both
Dave and Keith for sharing the info and the response from others. Some of
the meaning is escaping me because of conflicting terms. I'm sure (knowing
your car) you fully understand. However, reading remotely, I am
misinterpreting the info and I want to understand it. My apologies to the
list but I am replying to Dave off-line because I can use HTML (with color
text) which greatly helps readability and understanding. Although, I list
here a few clarifications?

(Dave). . . "Approximately 0.10 inches as an average but the car does move
down with increased LIFT from the down force."

DO YOU MEAN "LIFT" IN THE DOWN DIRECTION? Or how does the car move "down"
with increased lift?

(Dave)."There is some periodic movement in the suspension that is fairly
regular but does move up in frequency with speed. I would suspect it is the
natural frequency of the suspension or shocks and is somewhat different
front to rear which would further support this thought as the rear
suspension is much heavier....."

Hmmmm. One you reach "natural frequency" it will resonate at a CONSTANT rate
no? You indicate it changes with speed which is a reflection of surface
conditions (track), tire RPM (irregularities), or rotational unbalances,
(tires, drive shaft, axels, rotors) etc. Your thoughts?

(John Goodman). . . With regard to springs; If you see there is too much
vertical chassis travel, increase spring rate.

Do you mean the axel is hitting or bottoming "UP" against the chassis
because of soft springs, causing the chassis to rise? Therefore, increasing
spring rate stops the travel before it hits the chassis?

(Keith). . . So its the fronts that we are changing to 600's...  we are
going with the same drive train and just raising the nose 1" and leaving the
back where it was....

Are you raising chassis attach points or assuming the 600's will provide 1"
more of lift?  Thanks to all,  -Elon