Re: First car?

To: <Want1937hd@aol.com>, <land-speed@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: First car?
From: "Richard Fox" <v4gr@rcn.com>
Date: Tue, 30 Nov 2004 11:53:40 -0800
I believe that would have been around '57. It had been parked for 2 years with
no hood and no air cleaner so the engine was stuck. Otherwise all there. My
dad made me buy the Ply for $25. A '48 quatroport. I hated that car. He also
made me buy an ex-yellow cab '50 DeSoto for $15 as a parts car and he thought
the Big Block flathead six would be good in the Ply. pretty soon I blew the
clutch in the Ply and took them both to San Carlos Auto Wrecker. Bought a '47
Chevy and drove it until I threw a rod in Santa Cruze. Sold it on the spot for
bus fare. Bought a '33 Packard and drove it through my junior year.
At that time I worked at Crown Photo driving a '58 Angela to drug stores from
San Jose to South City picking up film and delivering pictures. Neat car.
Later in '60 I think we got a new one with a 4 speed and overhead valves. I
liked the three speed better and the flathead four was alright. My boss had a
twin cam MGA. Once he let me take that out. I hit a lot of drive-ins between
drugstores that day. To this day I think that's the only twin cam car I have
driven.      RF