RE: Subject: Re: First car?

To: Dave Dahlgren <ddahlgren@snet.net>, Doug Odom <dlodom@charter.net>
Subject: RE: Subject: Re: First car?
From: Corvette Salt Racer <edvs@yahoo.com>
Date: Sat, 4 Dec 2004 20:03:47 -0800 (PST)
Dave, what if the engine is not actually made by the
name plate on the car?? Cars these days are partnering
with Japanese co's to bring cars to market - didn't
Yamaha make the engine in the last generation Nova?
And I know Ford put a Japanese engine in one of their
cars a few years back (Saleen?). I'm sure we have
people on this list that are much more knowledgeable
than me on this subject.... And BTW, current Chevy LSX
engines are made in Mexico... Are they Chevy or just
plain Mexican? What I am getting at, is I see the line
beginning to get a bit blurry in the Production Class
(which includes GT), so maybe some pre-emptive
planning is in order before one of these
"cross-dressers" shows up in impound, and a decision
has to be made on the spot.
Ed

--- Dave Dahlgren <ddahlgren@snet.net> wrote:

> on page 66 of the 2004 rule book it says engine
> swaps are allowed in GT..
> Ford into a Ford, Porsche into a Porsche.. it does
> not make a single mention
> if the engine was ever available in the chassis or
> if it is of the same
> family of engines that came stock with the car. That
> would suggest I could
> put a Ford 460 in a Capri or a Porsche inline 4 into
> a 996.. Nowhere is the
> suggestion made that it has to be the same engine
> family or the same number
> of cylinders for that matter. If the engine was of
> identical construction
> but a different displacement it would not be an
> engine swap which is
> explicitly allowed. Why would the production rules
> apply in a GT class car
> they are different aren't they? A production car can
> seat six a GT can not.
> This guy wants to SWAP a 3 cylinder OHC engine with
> a 4 cylinder OHC engine
> how much of a stretch of engine swap is that? If the
> rule for engine swap is
> that vague it needs to be cleared up before too many
> people spend too much
> money doing what seems very clear. To me putting a
> 327 in the place of a 283
> is not an engine swap it is a change in
> displacement. Putting a 460 Ford
> where a v-6 used to be is an engine swap.. Sort of
> the definition of engine
> swap..
> Dave

The all-new My Yahoo! - Get yours free!