Re: OT cost of gas rant

To: "Dave Dahlgren" <ddahlgren@snet.net>
Subject: Re: OT cost of gas rant
From: Jon Wennerberg <jon@infodestruction.com>
Date: Sun, 4 Sep 2005 14:32:07 -0400
On Sunday, September 4, 2005, at 05:50 AM, Dave Dahlgren wrote:
> The real fuel and highway killers are the tractor trailer trucks that
> get
> around 6 to 7 mpg and beat the road surface to death that you and I
> pay for
> in road taxes on gasoline.. We are subsidizing the whole business of
> these
> things.. A truck can easily weigh as much as 20 cars and it is how
> hard you
> tread on the pavement that wears it out along with speed. Sit down and
> do
> the road tax calcs on who pays for what and you might be surprised.

Big semi rigs get better mileage these days -- 8-10 mpg isn't that
uncommon, especially with the aero they run, and the change to "gear
fast/run slow" drive trains, and the move to shutting off the motors
when not moving (although not all of them do that yet. . .).

As for the weight doing more damage to the road surface -- Michigan
charges more for heavy truck licenses than for light ones.  It's called
"elected GVW", and means that I can license my road tractor for 54,000
(GCWR) pounds for about $1200/year -- but a heavy rig, like a gravel
hauler, might spend $4,000 to get his license tags.   My route trucks
are licensed for 24k/26k# -- I pay in the $500/year range for the
license plates.  But - when you get weighed you'd best weigh less than
what's displayed on your license -- or you get to spend a few extra
dollars at the D O T.  So -- there's some effort to charge for what
wear they cause.  As far as I know, though, Michigan's the only state
with such a rule.

Most states follow an 80,000# GCWR limit, so a full semi can weigh as
much as twenty cars.  Twenty 4,000# cars, in fact.  Michigan allows up
to 161,000# -- you just pay more for it, and don't cross out of the
state until you weigh less.

                 Jon Wennerberg
Seldom Seen Slim Land Speed Racing
              Marquette, Michigan