OT cost of gas rant

To: "land-speed submit" <land-speed@autox.team.net>
Subject: OT cost of gas rant
From: "3liter" <saltfever@comcast.net>
Date: Mon, 5 Sep 2005 23:29:42 -0700
Jim:

It is not lack of consideration. If you lose only 5MPH in momentum it can
take a big rig miles to gain that speed back. Your comment about
side-by-side passing is proof of that. When overtaking a slower vehicle it
is a constant judgment call as to when to pull into the left lane. You don't
want to inconvenience left-lane drivers "coming up fast" but you don't want
to get trapped behind the slow-mover and lose momentum.  If you do, it will
take forever to gain enough speed to get by. By using your existing speed
differential you can pass relatively quickly with less inconvenience to
others.  The problem is how tight to make your closing-distance. If a single
car is coming up fast in the left lane, he will go by quickly and you can
afford to wait (i.e., get much closer) to the slow vehicle.  However, if the
left lane car is just lagging out there oblivious of conditions, or leading
a bunch of cars, you will get trapped waiting for all of them to get by. In
that case, one might pull out early to keep the speed differential high and
get by in the minimum time. The immediate group behind you won't appreciate
it but succeeding traffic will, because your out of the left lane quickly. I
judge all my moves by what I see in the mirror. If you are a fast, alert
driver we can help each other. Erratic (speed-up, slow-down), left lane
"huggers", receive proportionate consideration.

From: "Jim Belford"

. . . why is it inevitable that when you are approaching one in the passing
lane with a 10+ MPH differential in speed they will pull out at the last
second causing you to slam on your brakes?