RE: Help break the SCTA myth

To: <Askotto@aol.com>, <land-speed@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Help break the SCTA myth
From: "Tom Bryant" <saltracer@awwwsome.com>
Date: Fri, 7 Apr 2006 08:35:26 -0700
Otto,

It is true that the USFRA World of Speed is a more laid back friendly meet
than Speedweek. It has to do with shear numbers of people to deal with. When
an event gets past a certain body count, things have to change in the way it
is managed. I have found this to be true in business as well. It's like
walking a tightrope...management has to change to accomdate the increased
demands dictated by the numbers, but you really don't want to lose the
personal contact of a smaller venue. Some loss of friendliness may be
unavoidable. Personally, I think that the World Finals is also a more
friendly, laid back meet than Speedweek.

The USFRA was formed primarily to increase usage of the salt so there would
be a better position to argue from that the area was being depleted and
should be protected, even renewed. At first USFRA held a tuneup meet in July
as well as the September Meet, but weather was even more unpredictable then
so it was discontinued. I am proud to say that I hold the honor of being the
only entry that has competed at every WOS. I even made one trip to Wendover
before I found the meet had been canceled. All the foregoing comments
indicate is that I take seriously every opportunity that I have to run the
car.

I would say that you are wise to wait until you "rub shoulders" with the
people in question before making finally judgements about their attitudes. I
have never been in the company of a more giving group of competeing people
anywhere. You will find that if you need something to continue in
competition at a meet, help will likely come from those you are running
against.

ie: John Beckett qualified on my record and lost a tire. I offered him my
tires to make his return run. He found other tires, but mine were available.
I have received the same kind of help in reverse.

Tom,Redding CA - #216 D/FCC