Re: E85, more questions

To: "Ed Weldon" <23.weldon@comcast.net>, "Rich Fox" <v4gr@rcn.com>,
Subject: Re: E85, more questions
From: "joseph lance" <jolylance@earthlink.net>
Date: Fri, 9 Jun 2006 00:10:05 -0400
Dick, List;

The locomotives are diesel-electric as you describe but they are not
hybrids, the diesel just runs at a rate needed to supply the electric motors
battery energy storage (as in a Prius). The typical locomotive of this type
has four drive axles and a max of 2000 HP because more than 500 HP per axle
just makes the steel wheels spin.

One problem with hybrids, battery or capacitor, is that the
charging/discharge cycle has a "turnaround" efficiency as low as 60%, so
it's probably more efficient to run a small IC engine at a constant rate and
use the battery/capacitor as a "trimmer"---but the best trade-off between
engine and battery size depends on how your going to operate the car, or
what's the duty cycle? Some of the hybrids give high MPG in city driving,
not so good on the highway.

Lance