Motorcycle Re: Hans Device

To: "LSR list" <land-speed@autox.team.net>
Subject: Motorcycle Re: Hans Device
From: "atrav" <atrav@copper.net>
Date: Wed, 14 Jun 2006 09:21:27 -0400
----- Original Message -----
From: "Wester Potter" <wester6935@comcast.net>

> Nolan White had damage to his neck that resulted in his death.  I don't
> know that the HANS device would have saved him but It sure couldn't
> have hurt to have one in place.  The head is a big weight attached to a
> small spinal column.

Which reminds me of something I've been pondering...
 It seems to me with a LSR or dragracing motorcycle crash, there's the
possibility that the rider
will be rolling and tumbling. Has (or do) any of the motorcycle racers wear
some type of neck brace
to keep their head from flopping around?
I can see where that would be a problem with neck flexibility and related
visibility in road racing,
but with straight line stuff I wonder if the use of one of those medical type
stiff cushion braces
would prevent the neck from over flexation?

FWIW with the worst crash I had, the bike was barrel rolling then bouncing end
over end as I slid
along behind it, watching it shed the breaking parts. I remember the noise
most, but I was able to
just slide along on my hips, elbows, and knees (I'm well rounded now, with the
scars to prove it).
But I imagine if I had caught a pavement ripple or landed different, I would've
been flopping around
like a rag doll just like the bike. And I wouldn't want to have my head just
along for the ride.
;o)

-Aron-