Re: Motorcycle Re: Hans Device

To: jon@infodestruction.com
Subject: Re: Motorcycle Re: Hans Device
From: Askotto@aol.com
Date: Wed, 14 Jun 2006 12:30:12 EDT
In a message dated 6/14/2006 9:47:17 A.M. Mountain Daylight Time,
jon@infodestruction.com writes:

But did  the schools mention how to (attempt to) survive a crash?  No,
they  didn't.  Do we ever discuss it in driver meetings?  None that I've
attended.  (Maybe it's not appropriate for such an "open"  forum).  Do
we have someone in the group (here) that can bring some  good
information to the table?  Please speak up if you can - I'd like  to
have some guidance.

I've crashed more times than I'd like to remember on Bikes, mostly on flat
track dirt bikes. Some on the street with idiots in cars pulling in front of
me.

I had a head on with a drunk in a pickup on the street. I flew "superman"
style over the cab when I hit him in "my lane". I remember seeing the drivers
eyes as I flew over thinking, "this is going to hurt". Surprisingly because of
the small angle of attack with the payment, I hit relatively soft and
thought "that wasn't so bad". That soon changed as I scraped along the pavement

grinding through my jeans, knees, elbows, stomach, etc, etc.

I prefer the "slide for life" as opposed to the "tuck and roll" where I've
broken way more bones as appendages smash into the ground. Road rash is better
than broken bones in my book, for what it's worth.

You mention the class' you took never addressed crashes. I do all the time
in my mind going over what I would do in a given crash situation. Just like
practicing exiting your car in a "fire drill", one must anticipate what to do
in
 a "situation". Keeping the gas on in a spin is an example.

Practicing what to do if the throttle sticks is another good example.

My rule of thumb, "don't panic, think!"

Otto