Re: Motorcycle Re: Hans Device

To: "Wester Potter" <wester6935@comcast.net>,
Subject: Re: Motorcycle Re: Hans Device
From: "Glen Barrett" <speedtimer@charter.net>
Date: Wed, 14 Jun 2006 09:16:25 -0600
This is a good conversation and deserves a lot of thought. Each car and
driver is different in how they sit in the car. Size of the driver, size of
the exit part of the cage etc, must be part of the over all plan. A sloppy
or wide cage allows to much side to  side movement. You don't want the
helmet up against the top of the roll cage because of belt stretch and neck
stretch.

The Hans device has quick release snaps and can give the driver some
flexibility to exit the car. As far as I know there are three different Hans
designs for how the driver sits in the cage.

The best thing is to talk to the people who make them as they are the
experts. Our type of racing is a lot different as we don't have spec cars.
We build the cars to the rules and leave much of the design up to the
builder.

Over the years I have been on the emergency crew and in most cases we have
to cut the cages off to extract the driver. Most drivers have been knocked
out and the EMT's want to stabilize the driver, add a back board and a
C-collar prior to moving the driver.

Give it a lot of thought gentlemen

Glen