Re: Hans Device

To: "Skip Higginbotham" <Saltrat@lubricationdynamics.com>
Subject: Re: Hans Device
From: "Ed Weldon" <23.weldon@comcast.net>
Date: Wed, 14 Jun 2006 10:40:35 -0700
Fascinating thread..........
Just an engineer's viewpoint here.  Keep in mind that the compressed gas in
an air cylinder will have a lot of "spring" and likely not much dampening.
Different than a liquid shock absorber that is virtually all dampening.
Exactly what combination of the two likely will depend on the travel
distance and how frequently you hit the "bumps".  Same general theory as an
auto suspension; but the "roadway" is a bit less predictable.
I wonder whether there's available any well reduced crash dummy data from
auto industry tests......"G" loadings and stuff like that.  Not that we
amateurs ought to be engineering this this hardware ourselves.  I wouldn't
be real interested in the testing phase......
Ed Weldon