Re: Speedweek Publicity (JCB)

To: "Skip Higginbotham" <Saltrat@lubricationdynamics.com>,
Subject: Re: Speedweek Publicity (JCB)
From: "Glen Barrett" <speedtimer@charter.net>
Date: Fri, 25 Aug 2006 08:32:51 -0600
All of the delays at speedweek were racer related, stopping on or near the
course, going at slow speeds on the long course thru the last mile and not
having enough speed to get to the return road, chutes coming off cars, push
vehicles staying on or near the course with out the CB on. The list goes on.
The weather,wind was the only other factor in delays. We had no equipment
failures and missed no times during the whole event.

We have a drivers and crew meeting to try and get people to understand what
it takes on the racer/crew side to assure the meet runs smooth. We red
tagged several vehicles this year for failing to follow the rules, a couple
were set down and at least one was put on the trailer after repeated
infractions.

The racer has to pay attention and help speed up the process. As far as
another 100 entries next year I doubt it. LSR has a history of highs and
lows in entries. This year was an exception with near 500 entries.

We ran 2018 timed runs, a record over the 1735 runs a few years back. The
volunteers do one hell of a job and will continue to do so. It takes both
sides to make it happen.

There will always be delays for some reason. The starters and timers have
safety first in mind and if the course is not clear to run we don't run.

There was no excuse for not turning out as the salt was near perfect
anywhere along the two courses.
Someone running at 175 mph, not pulling the chute and staying on the course
to the 7-1/2 mile only holds up the next guy in line. There are 360 + mph
cars turning out at the 6-1/2 mile by using their chutes.

I could go on and on about this but it takes everyone playing the game to
cooperate to speed it up.

Glen