Re: Speedweek Publicity (JCB)

To: motorgrafx@fuse.net
Subject: Re: Speedweek Publicity (JCB)
From: James Tone <gmc6power@earthlink.net>
Date: Fri, 25 Aug 2006 15:02:07 -0700 (GMT-07:00)
I know it sounds good but the drags can not be compared to Bonneville at all.
The starter at the drags has them do burnout for everything but the pros as
soon as the cars leave and them he can see them turn out. Pros wait til they
turn out. and don't start at a big fire.

...The problem is 3 and 5,6 or 7 miles. Course stewards are the eyes and ears
of the starter and the tower. a late blow up or accident at the 5 has to be
relayed. 2 people in the tower are continuaually looking through binoculars...A
400 mph liner needs time and room.

We would all like to see 2 minutes on the short course and 3 on the long....but
co-operation of the racers and everyone else would need to prevail...Especially
the celebrations when a person goes fast or qualifies and doesn't get off the
course.....Wainting for a "special" push vehicle or trailer to come 7 miles at
55,....you get the picture....

At the NHRA Nationals they have 10 cars get ready at a time and push them off
quicky.