Timing light wires

To: "land-speed submit" <land-speed@autox.team.net>
Subject: Timing light wires
From: "3 liter" <saltfever@comcast.net>
Date: Sat, 14 Oct 2006 04:32:34 -0700
Bonneville is constantly troubled with lightening, thunder storms and other
electrical issues. Any wireless, radio frequency based system surely is NOT
the sign of the future.  A laser base system is immune to electrical noise.
Additionally, fiber optics devices offer further isolating from
interference. Not being an EE I don't know where to start but the technology
is not far away. There are numerous bombing and ranges gunnery ranges close
by. For all we know Glen has already been painted with a laser . . . there
has just never been permission to fire :-)

Light travels about 1 nanosecond per foot (9 places to the right).  Even on
the 5 mile course (26,400ft) that gives you more precision than you will
ever achieve by copper wire.  -Elon