Re: I've got a good idea!!!

To: <Flowbench@aol.com>, <Askotto@aol.com>, <land-speed@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: I've got a good idea!!!
From: "Glen Barrett" <speedtimer@charter.net>
Date: Sun, 15 Oct 2006 13:54:03 -0600
----- Original Message -----
From: <Flowbench@aol.com>
To: <Askotto@aol.com>; <land-speed@autox.team.net>
Sent: Sunday, October 15, 2006 12:35 PM

> In a message dated 10/15/2006 11:17:59 AM Pacific Standard Time,
> Askotto@aol.com writes:
>
> What  about putting things to a vote and let the members decide how we
> like
> things done in stead of a few guys just saying, "We've done it that way
> for
> years so why change  it"???
>
> Otto
>

> Otto, new ideas are looked at and listened to. You just don't get to see
> the
> response here on the Internet. Most of the ideas come up at the board
> meetings and get reviewed. Even the "old guard" wants a faster line. And
> if you  are
> under impression that there is no new blood you'd be very wrong. The SCTA
> board has and continues to change and if you look just last year we were
> arguing
> about having two ambulances on site. This year it happened! Worked great
> too.  New things do happen, but it needs to be looked at. Just because you
> have
> an  idea 2 day ago and it's not implemented yet doesn't mean it won't be.
> Glad you enjoyed your 1st trip to the salt.
> Mike

OTTO and list
What Mike says is fact. Every year after speed week the volunteers and
workers are asked to submit a list of things to improve the over all
operation.
I just sent in several suggestions from my view of things. 24 years in the
timing stand has helped with many changes over the years. Our timing staff
has two computer engineers and two mechanical engineers on board plus the
recorders and emergency people.

Some years ago we went to two courses and it took a bit of a learning curve
to adjust to it. This year we added a new 1 to 2 mile timing trap to the
short course for the slower vehicles that peak out at the slower speeds, and
guess what, they are told by the starter to shut down at the 2 1/4 and turn
out, I would say 50 % don't and continue on thru the 3rd mile usually at a
slower speed. Some have gone to the 5th mile before turning out at say 89
mph. This is what causes delays.

The other thing there is not always enough good salt to add a 3rd course or
a warm up area. There is a lot more to it then a lot of you don't see or
realize. Come work for a week and see what it really takes.
Glen