I've got a good idea!!!

To: "'land-speed submit'" <land-speed@autox.team.net>
Subject: I've got a good idea!!!
From: "3 liter" <saltfever@comcast.net>
Date: Mon, 16 Oct 2006 14:08:43 -0700
Jim, nice post and thanks for the aerial shot of the salt.

Unfortunately, "moving on" likely will NOT happen due to the requirements
necessary to run on the salt. Building a car to meet the rule book is a
considerable investment in time and money. It is not like running the 130
club at USFRA. That venue (class?) is designed specifically for people who
want to run the number without seriously modifying the car. If drop-outs
were to be expected it would happen with those that just want to experience
the speed and then go away. BNI, is a preoccupation lasting all year long.
When you have that kind of commitment to a car, one's interest will likely
survive a few "down" years on the salt. Witness Mayf's reaction to your
comment. We have been following his build for almost 3 years. And who knows
how many more years he put into thought and design. I doubt that kind of
interest will be dampened by the conditions you indicate. I believe the
large numbers will be around for quite a while and SCTA has some hard work
ahead to resolve it.  -Elon

Date: Sun, 15 Oct From: "Jim Dincau"

(snip.)All we need is a couple of rain outs and a few of years of lumpy salt
and all the summer soldiers and sunhine patriots will go on to whatever the
latest magazine publicised rage is. Those of us left will continue with our
passion.