Re: [Mg-t] Gas line replacement

To: Clive Sherriff <clive.sherriff@ntlworld.com>
Subject: Re: [Mg-t] Gas line replacement
From: Dave and Liz DuBois <ddubois@sinclair.net>
Date: Fri, 11 Jun 2010 20:21:36 -0700
> You can braze, but the silve solder has a lower melt point than
> brazing rod and you are less likely to melt the end fittings.
Since brazing requires heating the surrounding metal to a temperature
that will melt a brass brazing rod, the brass nipple will melt at the
same temperature.  This is a case where silver solder would be the
material of choice (I have always used straight plumbing grad soft
solder and have never had a problem.

> Dont forget to put the nuts on the tube, and the right way round,
> before fitting the nipples!

Now who would ever be dumb enough to forget that :-[

Kind of reminds me of the job I had back in the dark ages right after I
got out of the Navy assembling electronic photo flash units.  These were
the big studio units that used Amphenol connectors to attach the lights
to the power supply.  Said connectors had a screw on ring to secure the
plugs in the sockets and I was forever getting the connectors completely
soldered and assembled, only to find the securing ring still on the
bench.  I finally made a concerted effort to always remember to slide
the ring into place BEFORE soldering the wires in place and assembling
the plugs.  After much work and concentration on my part, I got it right
every time I assembled the plugs, only to have the boss come around a
bit later and say, "you know, those securing rings are really not
necessary on thee plugs, just leave them off from now on" :'(
Cheers - Dave

Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
Suggested annual donation  $11.47
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive