Re: [Mg-t] Gas line replacement

To: go2ghill@aol.com
Subject: Re: [Mg-t] Gas line replacement
From: John Seim <kingseim@earthlink.net>
Date: Thu, 10 Jun 2010 08:14:00 -0700
I would recommend the following:
Install an Airtex E-8016S low pressure fuel pump, at the rear axle.
These are available at AutoZone, under the brand name "Masters."
Also are sold as Federal-Mogul, and others. I believe that in all cases,
the part number is E-8016S. Pump has two wires coming out of it, so
works with positive as well as negative ground cars.
The pump comes with a clamp. The clamp can be held in place by the
same bolt holding the rear hydraulic damper in place. The wire from
the pump that needs to be grounded same as your car's polarity can
also be grounded at this same spot, using a 3/8" crimp ring terminal.
As you will have to cut the fuel line, to install the pump, you will
now have enough copper fuel pipe to have yours repaired.
A radiator shop can remove the fitting from the end of the fuel line,
and
solder it onto a good section of your copper fuel line.
I would also recommend placing a see-through 5/16" fuel filter in
line, between
the fuel tank, and fuel pump. Discard the metal can filter that comes
with the
pump, as you will never know how much debris that filter has collected.
Also, check the fuel line adapter, that goes into the tank. It is
supposed to
have a screen filter on it, and this filter gets clogged. The screen
is there
to prevent rust scale from going down the adapter, into the pipe. It
is a
necessary thing. If yours is missing, I would recommend buying a new
Fuel Line Adapter from Moss Motors. Part no. 376-665.
A new fuel line from Moss Motors is part no. 454-080.
As you just need to replace the rear section, you could also order
454-085,
which is the rear section for a TF. Would have the fitting attached,
for the
fuel line adapter. Cut off the other end, and attach to your existing
fuel line,
with the 5/16" fuel filter connected between the two pipes.

John Seim
Irvine, CA