overheating

To: MGV8 list <mgb-v8@autox.team.net>
Subject: overheating
From: Jim Stuart <jimbb88@erols.com>
Date: Sat, 17 Jul 1999 18:51:31 -0400
Sender: owner-mgb-v8@autox.team.net
As the really hot weather has come, my BGT has started to run very hot.
It has not yet overheated, but only because I have found a place to get
off road & let it cool.

Specifics: 4.2L with street cam, Buick front cover, Buick 300 water
pump, oversized radiator, 2700 cfm electric fan. I ran this setup for 2
years with a 215, ran cool, never a problem.

I had a Mallory magnetic distributer, no vacuum advance, since the cam
caused a low vacuum situation, timing set at 10` initial, 34` total. It
was running a slight bit warm before the V8 convention, so on good
advice, I set the timing up 2` to 12` initial. Everything was fine at
Champagne, & the weather was hot, you will remember, if you were there.

The last 2 weeks or so, the engine has been running slightly warmer each
day. I have fiddled the timing up & back, & totally confused myself. I
have replaced the thermostat & water pump, flushed the cooling system &
used a commercial 10 min cleaner, twice.

Today, I replaced the Mallory with the old Buick points dizzy, ran with
timing from 5` up to 12` initial. Still running at 225`, even on the
road at 65 mph. If it gives any of you real mechanics out there a clue,
with only 9.2 : 1 compression, it needs 93 octane gas, pings like crazy
on 87, while the old 215 at 9.6 ran on 87 just fine.

As this is my deaily driver, 60 miles of highway each day, I really need
to solve the mystery soon.

Thanks for any help or suggestions.

Jim Stuart