Re: overheating

To: jimbb88@erols.com, mgb-v8@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: overheating
From: DANMAS@aol.com
Date: Sun, 18 Jul 1999 11:27:37 EDT
Sender: owner-mgb-v8@autox.team.net
Jim,

One thing you might want to look at is the water pump, even though it may be
a new one. I had a heating problem with my TR6, and I tried just about every
thing to cure it, except the water pump, since it was a new one that had been
put on just before I got the car. Finally, out of desperation, I bought a new
one, hoping that maybe, just maybe, the pump was the problem after all. When
I pulled the existing pump, I almost didn't replace it because it looked
perfect -- no sign of wear at all.

However, on real close examination, I noticed that the impeller blades were
not quite square, but sloped just a little as shown below:

This,
____     _____
       |    |
        |   |
         |  |

Instead of this
_____    ____
         |  |
         |  |
         |  |

The impeller being on the left, and the housing on the right. The difference
was less than 1/16" , probably only 1/32", but it was enough to allow water
to slip past the blades without being pumped. The pump came from the factory
this way. After I replaced the pump, the cooling problem disappeared. I can
sit and idle on the hottest day with no problem, whereas before, it would
over heat in just a minute or two even on a cool day. You might want to take
a look at your pump, just to see if there is something along these lines --
especially after you've looked at everything else to no avail. Maybe your
impeller blades are too short, too narrow, etc.

Dan Masters,
Alcoa, TN

                    http://members.aol.com/danmas/
'68 MGBGT---organ donor for the '74