Re: overheating

To: "Jim Stuart" <jimbb88@erols.com>
Subject: Re: overheating
From: "Michael Hartwig" <mhartwig@cbu.edu>
Date: Sat, 17 Jul 1999 20:26:22 -0500
Sender: owner-mgb-v8@autox.team.net
Here are some things I can think of:

1.  Partially blocked rad core.  Had this once on my yota truck.  Chems
wouldn't get it clean.  Way to test for it would be: 1. Does it get hotter
when you drive faster?  or 2.  Let the engine warm up.  Mist water onto the
rad fins.  See if the water dissipates evenly across the surface.

2.  Don't know of this applies to the rover, but head gaskets might be
leaking, allowing air into the system.  Again, had that trouble with my yota
truck.  when I took the head gasket off, I could see a little line going to
the water hole where air was leaking in.  to test, you might let the engine
warm, then squeeze one of the hoses.  Or a rad shop will have a pressure
tester.  Also check the rad cap.  If the spring is warn, it will not allow
enough pressure to build up.

3.  Have you tried to richen the mixture?  I know a lean mixture will cause
the engine to run hotter, but I don't know if will heat up that much.

That's all I can think of right now.
Oh yea, check the thermostat.  I know of you bought one from autozone (not
sure if they even have them) it might be a piece of junk.  You can get a
dozen stats before you find one that works.  get a good thermometer and heat
some water in the microwave.  drop the thermostat in the water and see it
opens at the right temp.

Hope one of these does it,

Mike