Re: MGB questions, comments (long)

To: "W. Ray Gibbons" <gibbons@northpole.med.uvm.edu>
Subject: Re: MGB questions, comments (long)
From: dodd@el.wpafb.af.mil (Mark A. Dodd, WL/ELOD, X55581/64158)
Date: Thu, 29 Jun 95 13:13:02 EDT
>This car steers like a truck, in comparison with Kermit the frogeye.  I
>have determined that the nearside inner tie rod is worn, and there is
>about 1/16 play in the lower bushing of the king pins.  Also, the top
>bushing of the steering column is worn, giving about 1/8 play.  The car
>has worn 185/70 14 tires on original rostyle wheels.  If I jack up the
>front end, I can spin the steering wheel from lock to lock with one
>finger, so there isn't any severe binding in the unloaded system.
Ray-
You have just discovered the greatest joy of owning a spridget.  Everything
that I have ever driven steers like a truck compared to my midget.  And that
includes the B I had, and the C I have.  From a pure handling standpoint, I
don't think are many, if any, cars on the road that handle as well as a
spridget.  It is not hard to imagine though, that this B could do much
better without all the slop in the system that you describe.  All of this
slop must be taken up under load before the car starts to handle.  This is
part of the problem with my C.  And it has even more suspension components
than a B.  For this reason Cs have a very poor reputation in the handling
department.  But they are great to torque steer in the rain.  Guess what I
did during my wet lunch hour :-) :-)

Mark A Dodd                 Working in the dark (infrared)
email: dodd@el.wpafb.af.mil Working in the grease (MGs)
Snail: 2700 D St, Ste 2     Working in the dust (212 Central
       WPAFB, OH 45433-7405                      Dayton, OH)
       (513) 255-5581