Re: MGB questions, comments (long)

To: RLDesign@aol.com
Subject: Re: MGB questions, comments (long)
From: "W. Ray Gibbons" <gibbons@northpole.med.uvm.edu>
Date: Thu, 29 Jun 1995 17:03:25 -0400 (EDT)
On Thu, 29 Jun 1995 RLDesign@aol.com wrote:

> The steering on MGBs is generally pretty heavy, considering how much they
> weigh, and especially compared to other Brit sports cars. The steering on my
> Healey 3000 is much lighter than my GT. Then again, the MG's steering is
> pretty direct, while the Healey's can be somewhat vague...
>
> Ditching the boy-racer tires will probably help things immensly. You might
> also check the fluid level in the rack.

Well, they are not exactly boy racer tires; the owner took them off his
Toyota after they were no longer good enough for it.  I put 1 000 (octal)
squirts of oil in the rack, as the manual specifies.  Actually, it seemed
kinda dry, so I put about a pint in.  Didn't help noticably.  Still
steers like a truck in comparison with Kermit.

> Oh, yeah: You can borrow my 3000 to "evaluate" for awhile, if you like. I'll
> make a list of things which really should receive attention before you drive.
> Once you get the rust out of the doglegs, I'd like the cove painted
> ivory...you can respray the rest of it in the current Healey blue.
>
> Anytime you want, really.

It will be a while; I am going to look for a Ferrari Lusso to evaluate
next.  I've always thought those were pretty.

Ray