Re: MGB questions, comments (long)

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: MGB questions, comments (long)
From: "John M. Trindle" <jtrindle@tsquare.com>
Date: Thu, 29 Jun 1995 16:34:55 -0400 (EDT)
On Thu, 29 Jun 1995, W. Ray Gibbons wrote:

> Question 1:  Where were they on the 18V engines?  One thought is that a
> dpo put an 18V pulley on an earlier engine.

The 18V timing works out very close to the description you gave.  Full
vacuum advance will pull it to 9:30 or 10:00.

> Question 2:  Are the crankshaft pulleys on Bs made in two parts with a
> rubber insert?  My original thought was that they might be, and the two
> parts may have slipped.  There is a groove around the front side of the
> pulley, but I cannot detect any rubber ring in this groove.

I think this is possible but unlikely (to slip so far).

> Question 3:  Is there any way a crankshaft pulley can be put on wrong?

Nope.

> Question 4:  Is there any way this all could be explained by a failure of
> a dpo to properly align the marks on the timing chain sprockets?  My gut
> instinct is that altering ignition timing can't compensate for bad valve
> timing, but I have not thought it through (I get a headache).

Top Dead Center is Top Dead Center.  If the pulley and crankshaft and timing
chain cover are from the same vintage, I don't think you can get the
marks to move to the other side of the pulley.  You'd be at bottom dead
center, don'cha know.

> I have a question about the steering, though, and that relates to the
> nature of the beast.
>
> This car steers like a truck, in comparison with Kermit the frogeye.  I
> have determined that the nearside inner tie rod is worn, and there is
> about 1/16 play in the lower bushing of the king pins.  Also, the top
> bushing of the steering column is worn, giving about 1/8 play.  The car
> has worn 185/70 14 tires on original rostyle wheels.  If I jack up the
> front end, I can spin the steering wheel from lock to lock with one
> finger, so there isn't any severe binding in the unloaded system.
>
> Question 5:  Clearly, new tires, possibly with a narrower section, would
> lighten it some.  But is the steering of B's normally pretty heavy?

a) It's never going to be as light as a Spridget or Spitfire... I was
shocked the first time I steered my B around the parking lot, after
driving the 69 Spit.

b) It could very well be alignment.  My B had 2" (two inches) of toe-in
for a year while I developed big biceps.  It steers MUCH better in
parking lots with 0-1/16" toe-in.

c) They don't have those big steering wheels for nothing.  But check the
tire pressure anyway.  Some misguided folks try to make up for dead
suspension (riding on the stops) or the naturally rough ride of a sports
car by deflating the tires.

d) At least with the Spitfire, there are other negative qualities to
offset the nice steering.  My B doesn't squat when I accellerate, or
wiggle it's tail randomly in slolams.

e) I can go over 60 in the B without fear.  I get nervous over 45 in the
Spitfire.  I find the B's steering comfortable and telepathic over about
10 mph.

f) Try a 1st generation RX7 if you want truckish handling.  Great car,
lousy steering (recirculating ball, too!)

g) I don't think this car is ready for you, unless you want a project.
My B has been a real project (at least half the fun!)  It does go quite
nicely with uprated springs, rebuilt shocks, and uprated sway bar.

John M. Trindle | jtrindle@tsquare.com | Tidewater Sports Car Club
'73 MGB DSP     | '69 Spitfire E Stock | '88 RX-7 C Stock
Home Page:  http://www.widomaker.com/~trindle
"Ginsberg's Restatement of the Three Laws of Thermodynamics:
   You can't win.
   You can't break even.
   You can't quit."