Re: MGB questions, comments (long)

To: Greg Meboe <meboe@wsunix.wsu.edu>
Subject: Re: MGB questions, comments (long)
From: "W. Ray Gibbons" <gibbons@northpole.med.uvm.edu>
Date: Thu, 29 Jun 1995 14:55:45 -0400 (EDT)
On Thu, 29 Jun 1995, Greg Meboe wrote:

>   I feel compelled to tell you that you will remain disappointed with the
> handling of the MGB even after the suspension is in tip-top shape.  Every
> MGB I've owned or driven handled like a truck.  They SEEM much more
> heavy and clumsy than the Midgets and Spits, even though they're not that
> much heavier.  Even our 65 B, with gas shocks all the way round, V-8
> bushings, new rear springs, rebuilt kingpins etc.. felt awful.  I thought
> Dianne would like it because it was cute and stuff, but nothing doing.
> She felt unsafe with the poor roadhandling and I couln't fault her for
> that.
>   Sure you can pack it full of fat swaybars, low profile tyres, racing
> springs and pack the lever shocks with STP, but somehow I don't see you
> taking that course.
>   Not to poop on your picnic, but the B will never have the light feel of
> Kermit.
>
>               Greg

Heavens, you cc'd the MG list.  I bet you hear from a lot of people about
this.

But I have to say, I drove Kermit to work yesterday after a couple of days
of taking the B.  Have you ever strapped weights to your ankles to get
more exercise?  You know how incredibly light you feel when you take them
off?  That is how it felt to get out of the B and into Kermit.  Light,
hairtrigger steering, just think your way around corners.  Wow.

Half way to work, I was beginning to think that I ought to forget about a
B and get *another* bugeye, and put a 1275 engine in it, and a 5 speed,
and a fiberglass replica Sebring nose, and... and... Wouldn't that be just
a pure *joy*?

ANyway, I was hoping it was just that the B is pretty battered and worn,
and it would be great when it was all renewed.

If you are right, better keep all those B owners away from Spridgets, or
I won't be able to afford them.  Now you are going to *really* rain on my
parade and tell me I wouldn't like a nice well-sorted AH BN1?

Some guy came up to me last summer when I was out in Kermit, and asked how
it felt to own the best car in the world.  Some days, I think I do.

Ray