Re: oil starvation

To: MGS <MGS@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: oil starvation
From: "Palmer, Lew (UCI)" <LEW@p01.uci.com>
Date: Fri, 01 Dec 95 08:20:00 PST
I side with Denise (and a few others) on this one.

While driving (especially as high RPMs and around long curves) remember that
not
 all of the oil stays in the sump. It's only when it all drains back into
the sump that the
 dipstick will register FULL. When the engine is running, the oil is
dispersed
 throughout the engine, so if you are running less than at least the ADD
mark
 the oil pickup tube may well not be below the level of the pick-up tube.
 Even if it is, going around a corner can slosh all of the remaining oil to
one side.
 Suddenly you're running dry. In my TD, I've noticed that the rocker box
will start
 to fill with oil pretty quickly.

Anything short of running on FULL can cause you to pretty quickly be sucking
air.

And I leave an oil spot as big as anyone's.

Lew Palmer
lew.palmer@uci.com
32 J2
50 TD