Re: testing my mettle, or: irksome rant

To: gibbons@northpole.med.uvm.edu
Subject: Re: testing my mettle, or: irksome rant
From: wzehring@cmb.biosci.wayne.edu (Will Zehring)
Date: Thu, 30 May 1996 11:30:03 -0400
Ray writes:

>Think what
>that RX7 is going to be like 20 years from now, when all the little tiny
>hoses are rotted,

Good points, all.  In fact, we stopped counting the hoses in there.  And
that doesn't include the 16 pipes for the anti-lock brake system.  My friend
admitted it took him 15 mins to locate the dip stick.

>The thing to do with something like an RX-7 is to buy it new, if you can
>afford it, run the pee out of it, and then sell it to some unsuspecting
>fellow like your car buddy.  Pity him; do not copy him.

I think I'll call that guy back up and tell him what a fool he is!  The good
news is that he has to unload his nice TVR 2500M for a fire sale discount
price to pay the insurance agent for his new batmobile.  He has a big healey
(BN1) that "needs some work" but is also for sale.  Anyone interested?  I'll
post you his number; tell him Will sent you (but dont tease him about that
idiotic RX-7 he bought).

>I drove 100K miles on the Dan Ryan expressway in Chicago, reputedly the
>most dangerous highway in the nation.  While driving home in the snow one
>evening, I counted 17 freshly wrecked cars.  At 70 mph, I once came upon
>an outboard motor boat abandoned in my lane.  This was not the place for
>an lbc; the only (partial) cure I could come up with was a new car with an
>unburstable cooling system, a good heater, an air-conditioner, and a
>decent radio.  I carried a paperback book for heavy traffic.

I remember the Dan Ryan, back in my U of C days, tho I only drove on it to
the old Comisky park.  I used to be a WhiteSox fan in the glory days of Bill
Veck and that cold water shower out in the middle of the center field
bleachers.  We'd spend most of our time watching fist fights on the opposite
side of the field--that was baseball, baby!

Or, is this the MGS list?

Thanks to all my buddies on the list who have helped me through this little
crisis.  Ray, Tim, etc., I feel much better now.  I plan on driving home
this evening, in the B, with the top down, in OD, smoking a cigar.  I'm
going to go home, grill some shrimp, drink a beer,...   Life... It doesn't
get any better than this.

Will "at peace w/self" Zehring