Re: Condensate all over the LBC!!

To: MG List <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Condensate all over the LBC!!
From: "Michael P. Ohleger" <mikeoh@bellatlantic.net>
Date: Sun, 05 Jan 1997 11:42:33 -0500
George Procyshyn wrote:

> Happy New Year to all! Best wishes for happy times and LBC miles!
> I'm here in Cleveland Ohio and we're having an indian summer. Yesterday,
> Jan. 3. it was 56 degrees out, and today Jan. 4. it was 64. This you might
> think is ..... GOOD but this has caused a BIG problem in my garage.
>
> My garage is un insulated, unheated, constructed of brick, poured cement
> floor and a frame roof. It has a SMALL  bit of ventilation and everything in
> it including the walls  have been soaking wet for the last two days. Imagine
> going into your garage with a spray bottle, opening every drawer in your
> tool box and spritzing everything inside! Then go to your favorite LBC and
> do the same to the engine, body, interior, everywhere. I can write my name
> in the condensate, and I KNOW my LBC's don't like living underwater. I had
> to hang up the nylon car covers to dry out.  This is amazing!
>
> I know I have to spend some money to fix this, but (this is where I need the
> help) what should I spend it on? Insulation? what kind and how to attach it
> to a brick wall? What about the roof?  Vapor barrier? Again where & how.
> Ventilation, how much?  Heat? I can do that by putting a gas line out to the
> garage, (fairly easy) and hang a natural gas heater/blower from a ceiling
> joist. Is this the right approach?  What about the concrete floor? Is anyone
> else having this problem? This is the first winter for these LBC's in this
> garage.
> Any suggestions greatly appreciated. . .What to do, what to do, what to do???

Not a damn thing.  I have ventilation and heat, but here in Virginia, when the
temp gets
to 78 in January, the cold concrete floor in my attached frame construction
garage
exudes (sp?) moisture.  I walked in there yesterday and it was so wet I fell on
my butt!
I ended up opening the doors and running two large floor fans to dissipate the
moisture.

I may try a dehumidifier, if I can get the garage tight enough.  This is
frustrating.  I
can only anticipate the rust.......

Michael Ohleger