Re: Condensate all over the LBC!!

To: "W. R. Gibbons" <gibbons@northpole.med.uvm.edu>
Subject: Re: Condensate all over the LBC!!
From: Ross Overcash <jroverca@tiac.net>
Date: Mon, 6 Jan 1997 20:48:09 -0500 (EST)
At 03:49 PM 1/6/97 -0500, you wrote:
>On Sun, 5 Jan 1997, Ross Overcash wrote:
>
>> At 02:36 AM 1/5/97 GMT, you wrote:
>> >Happy New Year to all! Best wishes for happy times and LBC miles!
>> >I'm here in Cleveland Ohio and we're having an indian summer. Yesterday,
>> >Jan. 3. it was 56 degrees out, and today Jan. 4. it was 64. This you might
>> >think is ..... GOOD but this has caused a BIG problem in my garage.
>> >My garage is un insulated, unheated, constructed of brick, poured cement
>> >floor and a frame roof. It has a SMALL  bit of ventilation and everything in
>> >it including the walls  have been soaking wet for the last two days. Imagine
>> >going into your garage with a spray bottle, opening every drawer in your
>> >tool box and spritzing everything inside! Then go to your favorite LBC and
>> >do the same to the engine, body, interior, everywhere. I can write my name
>> >in the condensate, and I KNOW my LBC's don't like living underwater. I had
>> >to hang up the nylon car covers to dry out.  This is amazing!
>
>> With weather like that put the top down and cruise.  Seriously it sounds
>> like a ventilation problem.  If this is not a regularly occuring phenominone
>> I suggest a ventilation fan.  Don't know what tyype of roof you have (gable,
>
>> Ross Overcash, 74B, NAMGBR 2-1172, Ayer, MA.
>
>I have to disagree with Ross; I don't think a fan or more ventilation
>would help much.  It might very well make the problem worse.  Somebody
>else, forget who, nailed the cause IMHO.  The car, tools, and masonry
>surfaces in the garage are cold, and you have a sudden warm spell with
>high humidity.  The cold surfaces are below the temperature at which water
>condenses from the air (the dew point), so everything is getting wet
>from water condensing out of the air.  It won't last forever; if it stays
>warm the surfaces will warm up, and if it gets cold, the air will have
>less moisture in it.  Either way, it will stop.  A fan would only deliver
>more humid air to the cold surfaces, condensing more moisture.  A
>dehumidifier would help if you can close the garage tightly enough.  It
>would also help to force the surfaces to warm up faster by heating the
>garage (if you do it with a vented heater that doesn't add even more
>moisture to the air).
>
>If you want to experiment, next time it happens, you can try this (dunno
>if it will work).  Put a 150 watt bulb in a drop light, put that in a
>metal bucket, and sit it in your car (turned on).  Best to put the whole
>thing on a cake cooling rack or something to space it away from any
>flammable surfaces.  It *may* warm the interior enough to at least keep
>the interior from getting soggy.  Be sure the hot light can't touch
>anything flammable.
>
>   Ray Gibbons  Dept. of Molecular Physiology & Biophysics
>                Univ. of Vermont College of Medicine, Burlington, VT
>                gibbons@northpole.med.uvm.edu  (802) 656-8910

Ok Ray I see your point, and I certainly agree, but wouldn't ventilation
with a gable or roof vent assist in equalizing the temperature and reduce
the condensation?  Since this is probably not a recurring problem (except
during winters like this one) I thought the additional ventilation might be
a less expensive way to go, but If I'm wrong I'm wrong.

Ross Overcash, 74B, NAMGBR 2-1172, Ayer, MA.