Re: dimbulbs/pious airs

To: npenney@erols.com
Subject: Re: dimbulbs/pious airs
From: miker15@juno.com (MICHAEL J ROBSON)
Date: Tue, 18 Mar 1997 05:32:59 EST
I was saddened by Nolans post this evening which iread at 2.30 being
unable to sleep - many will not wonder at that fact since Im a commodity
trader and lie and cheat and steal for a living but i feel compelled to
respond anyway!

On Mon, 17 Mar 1997 20:47:14 -0500 Nolan Penney <npenney@erols.com>
writes:
>>I dunno, as far as I can see anyone who is related to anyone who ever
>>rode in any Lucas equipped LBC anything at any time on any road knows
>>about dim bulbs. We're all victims of Ohm's law. Why all the
>aspersions?insensitivity? contempt? carelessness? "humor"?!?!? AOLers,
TRs,
>MIATAs, NEWBIEs, who's next? I don't know, but I won't be here to find
out!
>>goodbye to all.  Jarl

I stick by what i said to and about Jarl yestersay, His posts, answers
and technical input are and were outstanding and of immeasurable value to
all - however -
the above quotation comes over as a tad petulant and certainly intolerant
which should, of course, be taken with as much of a grain of salt as
everything else on this list! - hell, lets all enjoy a good fit of pique!

>I agree Jarl.
>
>I'm active in roughly 20 mailgroups on the internet, and this one,
>MGs,  is the most  unpleasent.  What I find so disgusting isn't the
chronic insulting of
>everyone and everything that isn't sacred octogon, but the pious airs of
superiority that are assumed while doing so. Indeed, in the three other
autox.team.net groups I'm active in (Triumphs, British, Autox) flaming
and insulting of other groups is not tollerated by the members.  Here
though, it is actively encouraged.

>Sad.

Nolans post is - to me - unfathomable....."unpleasant"?  "disgusting"?
"Chronic insulting"?
WHEN??????????? - talk about pious airs!
This is a bloody hobby, a pastime, something to do for FUN!
The list - as i see it - is not just informational, its an extension of
the hobby -
an addition to THE FUN!
Unless Im an ever dimmer bulb than i thought, the joking, japing,
twitting and the like is for the most part good natured - part of THE FUN
and every bit as entertaining as any information we share - and when its
not so good natured, ITS EVEN FUNNIER!

John Cleese, who is probably one of the funniest humans ever to walk the
earth gave a list of things that are truly funny once;I cannot quote it
verbatim .nor even remember the whole thing but here are a few
paraphrased

1)Nothing is REALLY funny until someone gets cross!("ther'll be tears","
loses an    eye" etc...)
2)It's not half as funny watching someone do or say something stupid as
it is to
   watch someone else watching someone do something stupid!
3)If you cant insult your friends, who can you insult!?
4)We laugh most at the things people do and say that we ourselves are
most afraid    of doing or saying.

Personally I am incapable of being serious for an entire conversation
-even in the depths of depression and there are very few subjects i wont
make fun of or put a humourous, often cruel spin on - its a defence
mechanism of course, all humour is
But there are NO sacred cows.....
I enjoy immensely the tone, content, flames, and irreverence that forms
part of this venue (the list) together with the information and
camaraderie we share - and if other lists dont "tolerate" this then I'm
bloody glad im not on them - they must be  bleak colourless Orwellian
places! .............

But then us "proper" car blokes on a "proper" list knew that anyway, and
that all Tr***ph blokes are MG wannabees and that M***s are girly-man
cars and that everyone who doesnt agree with us is a wanker!!

Now - I actively encourage you all to shout scream and berate my
parentage
COS THEN IT'LL BE REALLY BLOODY FUNNY!!

mike robson
69 roadster