Re: Hard Top?

To: Douglas Gaither <gaither@ix21.ix.netcom.com>
Subject: Re: Hard Top?
From: EMILY COWEN <ecowen@cln.etc.bc.ca>
Date: Sat, 26 Apr 1997 02:22:19 -0700 (PDT)
Hi Douglas Gaither!!

On Thu, 24 Apr 1997, Douglas Gaither wrote:

> I'd like to hear from those of you that have hardtops.  Are you glad you
> have them?  What should I look for in a top?  How much should I expect to
> pay?  What brands are good?  Bad?  Do they seal well?  Are they a big

1. Yes   2. Has it got ALL the hardware  3. Second hand: $100-$200, new:
???  4. We've only had the one brand, and I think they were factory
options  5. Same as 4  6. On the '74, which wasn't collision damaged,
perfectly.  On the badly deformed '73 (had been rear ended) we had to
add foam to the rear seal.  Not too bad to store, as long as you
protect them from dings with a blanket.

> pain to store when not in use?  Do they come with a headliner?

Yes, they come with a headliner, but no soundproofing between the liner
and the top; but still much quieter than the rag top (and warmer).

> do like the idea of being able to lock something in the car without
> putting the top at risk.

If you want to ruin a perfectly good hard top, just leave something
valuable in the car, and lock the doors...  USE THE TRUNK!!!!

We got our second hard top for $35 Canadian because some creep had
ripped the side window out of the top, ruining the metal mounts in the
process.

TTUL8r, Kirk Cowen